20020630

Head Half-empty, Heart Half-full

Tell all of my friends, I don't have too many,
Just some raincoated lovers, puny brothers,
Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt,
Every jammy Stressford poet,
Loafing oafs in all night chemists,
Underact, express depression, oh
But Bunny I loved you ...
I was tired again I tried again but
Now my heart is full,
Now my heart is full,
And I just can't explain so I won't even try to.

Morrissey, 'Now My Heart Is Full'

Exams are over. I am hung over and tired, but at ease. A couple of lazy days sprawl invitingly before me. I have plans, but I think a little relaxation is in order first.

The last update I made to this page was actually during my second-last exam - that's commitment. Of course, I didn't know it at the time. Fortunately the university was willing to let me take the exam in the afternoon instead of the morning once I'd informed them of my situation. I'm choosing to regard the incident not as an indication of some kind of deterioration in my ability to organise myself, but rather as a near-certain hiccup in statistical terms once one has been at university as long as I have. The exam itself was surprisingly easy once the bureaucratic details (signing statutory declarations, getting assigned a new exam venue etc.) had been sorted out.

Didn't sleep much on Friday night due to cramming hard for my Saturday exam, and spent the morning sitting in Winthrop Hall furiously ransacking my brain for pseudo-convincing short answers to hard questions, feeling very sick and very fatigued. Came home and somehow beat Many Faces of Go by 80.5 moku on level eight, then proceeded to get whipped by it five times in succession. Strange that.

Went to Dave Thatcher's party to welcome his Scottish visitors last night, despite feeling lousy. I spent about five seconds introducing myself to his guests before leaving them to a grisly fate at the blabbering mouths of certain unnamed crashing bores. Then I went off and got trashed, finishing the night well and truly drunk under a doona on the couch arguing the legitimacy of Aboriginal compensation claims with Tom Pope. Left feeling satisfied that I'd made my point, even if this hadn't been readily apparent during our conversation.

So, I was feeling hungover before I went to the party. Now I have some kind of evil, extended hangover situation happening, having again had little sleep last night. Lucky I've got nothing more strenuous than watching the World Cup Final, playing computer games and watching videos planned for the rest of the day.

Ah, sweet relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home