20020627

Democracy Is A Crock

Go on - prove me wrong.

Originally this was set up to serve society,
Now the roles have been reversed,
They want society to serve the institutions ...

Stereolab, 'Tomorrow Is Already Here'

It's clear that representative democracy is a failed political system. Two parties, each manoeuvring for exactly fifty-one percent of the vote, with polls dominating where policy should, before each election. After each election, a series of stop-gap measures aimed at placating an ignorant, apathetic public whilst following the agendas set by other nations and large corporations. But the problem's worse than that. Oh, yes. Suppose we had a fully participatory democracy. How much would that suck? Would you trust the average Australian to have input on every decision made about the future of our society? I certainly wouldn't. So you advocate elite rule, you say. No, I don't. So you advocate anarchy, you say. No, I don't. So you have no solution, you say. Yes, that's right. Shut up, you say. Democracy may be a crock but it's the only crock we've got. No, I won't. I hate this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home