20030210

Summer Wasting

... Summer in winter, winter in springtime,
You hear the birds sing, everything will be fine ...
I've spent this summer wasting, the sky was blue beyond compare,
Say cheerio to books now, the only things I'll read are faces,
I've spent this summer wasting, under a canopy of (stars):
Seven weeks of river walkways,
Seven years of staying up all night ...

Belle and Sebastian, 'Summer Wasting'

My Child Support Agency contract came to a conclusion in a shower of book vouchers, well-wishes, candy packets and corporate lunches last week. Bank account fat and healthy, I skipped onto the pavement, never looking back to an already dimming memory of bureaucratic hell tinged with a slight sadness for the passage of time. Things seem less gruelling through the haze of recollection, but in reality the last couple of weeks were a dull, recurring cauchemar more like Kafka than Proust. However, I am finished.

Having suddenly gained fifty extra hours of free time per week, I'm finding myself at something of a loose end. Bought my little brother a trip computer for his new bicycle when he had his birthday last weekend. Have played a bit of Starfox Adventures, a gratingly cute puzzle game for the GameCube. Have read a couple of books, seen a couple of films, been to a couple of parties, had a couple of trips to the beach. A sort of shuffling routine of different activities. Helped Max move house for the second time in four weeks on Saturday, a process so painless it almost defies belief. The whole business was pretty much complete in about three hours, only two of which involved actual work. Sweet compared to the previous effort. Also, her new house (in Cook St, Nedlands) looks like it will be non-disastrous, which makes me feel good for reasons both generous and selfish.

Just before the move, I crushed two premixed bourbon empties that had been left by the inimical, shifty Matt at Townshend Rd. Couldn't help hoping the laws of magical contagion would indicate he was simultaneously being hit by a bus, the little prick.

I will do 'something constructive' soon. Am planning on heading into Claremont this afternoon to buy blank T-shirts and sheet music. Must also organise a new power supply for my PC pronto, so I can enjoy decent internet access at home. At which point this page will no doubt start being updated much more frequently.

Good days. I am really enjoying life at the moment. More seems to be in its place than at any time in living memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home