20030413

Sisyphean Undertakings

Was getting worried about the whole five-minute project speech thing I have to do in a couple of weeks. That is, before I read the thesis written by the person who researched in my area last year. It's not very good. I am currently wallowing in the comfort of knowing that at least if I suck, I won't be alone.

It seems oddly appropriate that Kalman filters are cooler than Wiener filters. After all, they are Wiener filters. It's also fitting that H-infinity filters are cooler still, involving Hardy spaces as they do.

Q: What do you call the energy drain you get from greater Undead?
A: Spectral subtraction.


Sorry for visiting that on you all. I don't normally tell jokes that don't just require you to be a geek to understand them, but require you to be a different kind of geek to understand the question than you have to be to comprehend the punchline. So sue me.

I left the north again, I travelled south again,
I got confused - I killed a nun, and I can't help the way I feel.
I can't help the way I feel!
(I lost my bag in Newport Pagnell!)
Why is the last mile the hardest mile?
My throat was dry, with the sun in my eyes.
And I realised, I realised ...
I could never, never ever, ever ever go back home again.

The Smiths, 'Is It Really So Strange?'

I bought slippers yesterday, which I'm sure leads to an increase in domesticity. Max was fearfully ill, poor duck, so I stayed in and brought her cups of tea and such last night. On Friday, I went uncostumed (but not unaccoutred) to the J-pop party. Adam and I played drinking go, which proved amusing (for me) and sickening (for him). I'm certainly glad I wasn't the one doing fourteen shots of sake in the space of an hour or so. Sorry, Adam, but these are the vicissitudes of the drinking game experience. Typical recidivist pitfalling from my point of view. I accept your spew with equanimity, even if others find it egregious.

Other people's costumes were funny. Dave Basden's was the best for my money, combining as it did significant effort with cross-dressing. The strobe was lame and then surprisingly fun. The good thing about strobes is that they make it look like you're dancing in time to something even when you're really, really not. Jen and Chas were amusing, as was Stephie's vibrating chicken. Overall, not a bad party, the only downside being I didn't get particularly drunk. This was because all I had to drink was sake (hell, I suppose I'd drink it too if it was society's only socially acceptable alcoholic beverage), and because Adam just didn't do well enough in our go game. Grahame is a comic fool when drunk - and that's all that needs to be reported about his performance for the evening.

I contacted the CSA about a reference for a job I was applying for during the week, and my old team leader asked me if I wanted to work three days a week for them until the end of June. Probably not a bad idea. She also wrote me a very flattering document-drone endorsement for the job I was enquiring about.

Tonight, I will go to the end of the In The Pines RTR fundraiser to see Downsyde and the Panics. Before that, I will do more reading and writing for my thesis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home